…into my madness.
So it begins once more. Now I’m going to say something that will shock and appall most people. But stay with me. I kinda wish Vampire Diaries wasn’t on. Wait. Wait. Let me finish. What I can’t stand? The cliffhangers. Before the six-week break we were left with a disgusting oozy bite (more on that later) but it was Rose who was bitten so I wasn’t really dying to know if she died (haha). But this week? Huge cliffhanger. However, saying that, I probably couldn’t have survived another week without Damon, so all things considering…
Now to the deconstruction.
So it begins with a naked blonde chick out in the woods. For a moment I think it’s Caroline and I’m really really confused. Then I realise it’s Jules and I’m an idiot (in my defence it was late at night and usually when a person has blood smeared all over their face they’re a vampire). And what is Jules doing? Well she is recovering from a big wolfy night of slaughtering and eating (I assume) lowly humans. Enter rangery type guy. Jules acts sad and then WHAM kills him when he turns around.
I knew there was a reason why I didn’t like that girl.
Now to the vampires. Stefan arrives (topless. Lovely work writers.) Says that he has to go find Isobel to see if he can find out about Klaus (which probably isn’t going to end well, all things considering). Talks a bit with Ric and then off he goes.
During this time Rose’s wound is becoming even more oozy and disgusting. For those who haven’t seen the episode (fools!) it’s the type of wound that makes you cringe, feel nauseous, and applaud the make-up team all at once. Damon pretends to get sick of Rose and leaves Elena to play nurse. Considering that Rose is a sick vampire and Elena looks like Katherine…well, it was never going to end well.
Switch to Caroline and Tyler talking, where she slips that a werewolf bite would kill her (whoops!) Matt suddenly appears (where HAS he been?), swoops in and kisses Caroline after Tyler leaves. Caroline, obviously flustered (as one would be) runs off.
As Rose gets more and more ill she begins to go rabid and turns on Elena. She chases her around the house and Elena only gets away by attacking her where it hurts her most, in that oozy disgusting wound (see above). She spends the rest of the day hiding out. When she finally emerges she’s confronted by Damon who wants to know where the hell Rose is.
Ok. THEN we learn that Rose is off killing people, while at the same time Matt confronts Caroline and she tells him she loves him. Whoops! That’s going to make things complicated. If that’s not worse enough, Tyler arrives at her house and kisses her…causing a full-on love triangle (in his defence he doesn’t know that Matt made a move).
As Rose is dying slowly and painfully Damon compels her dreams to take her back to when she was human and happy, and when she is not scared of dying he stakes her and dumps the body, during which he allows a single tear for her (so heart-breaking!)
Tyler then meets up with Jules who reveals who she is (of sorts) and tells Tyler that Caroline’s been lying to him about the number of vampires in Mystic Falls. Uh-oh. That girl really likes to cause trouble doesn’t she?
Damon returns home, pretending to not care at all (boys!) although Elena tries to get him to admit that he is having human feelings. She hugs him goodbye and we see a look of pure anguish on poor Damon’s face.
FINALLY Stefan returns (where has he been? Sucks for all the Stefan fans out there!) Along with him he brings…Uncle John (the mean uncle who got stabbed by Katherine). IF that isn’t a big enough cliff-hanger…
Ok let me set the scene for you. Girl driving along a dark road where she comes across a man lying across the road. She gets out, goes over to the man and asks, “are you alright?” Alas, he isn’t. Sort of. For it’s Damon. (May I just mention that the actress who plays this girl seems to be in EVERYTHING at the moment. Mad Men, United States of Tara and now Vampire Diaries!) And he’s having a bit of a moment. He tells the girl that he’ll never be what the girl he loves (Elena) needs. And bigger secret? He craves humanity. Yep, big bad Damon wants to be human.
And then he kills her.
OK now to the points of interest:
- Ok. Damon and the cliffhanger. There are a few problems I have with this. First off, he wants to be human so that Elena can love him? Fair enough. But Elena was trying to get him to open up and instead he shrugged it off (men). He could have gone into her loving arms and instead he went and killed someone. We do have to remember though that Damon only wanted to turn into a vampire for love (for Katherine) and when he had turned and thought she’d died he stopped wanting it. So while he plays the bad-ass vampire, his need for humanity is lurking deep down inside him.
- The other problem I have with this cliffhanger (other than the lack of sleep thinking about it!) is that Damon is evil. Again. I’m over that. He started off the series being bad and then he turned bad at the start of season two. Basically, he doesn’t cope well. We get it. But as a Delena fan I would like to see him GROW instead of just turning evil and drinking people’s blood etc etc. It gets a bit old if we have to have him be evil, have Elena turn against him, him work his way back into her good books…and so on and so forth.
- The Tyler-Matt-Caroline love triangle. Love it! There needs to be more romance in this show (but not too much because then it becomes a bit incestuous a la Gossip Girl)! But who to go for? Personally, I’m for the Tyler/Caroline romance. I know there is that complication of him possibly killing her, but isn’t that what this show is all about?! And while I do like Matt, like Mike Newton (though far less annoying), he was never going to win. He’s fine but not when he’s compared against vampires and werewolves. Who do you want to see get together?
- It seemed this episode that the circle is growing smaller. No Bonnie, Jeremy, Aunt Jenna and to top if all off, Rose died! Hmmm…
- I’d just like to add that I loved how they made it a bit scarier this episode. Although…almost a little too scary (there were moments when I was cowering behind my hands)! It brings back the suspense and drama of early-on in the first season. Good memories.
Just a couple of questions…
- What’s going to happen with Tyler and Caroline now the secret’s out? And will he side with Jules?
- What will Uncle John have to offer?
- Will Damon stay bad or was that a once off? Will anyone find out?
- What became of the people that Jules killed? Was they written off as kills done by Rose?
- This one is the important one: does Damon want to become human because of Elena? Or has he always wanted to become human? and would Stefan change for Elena too?
(If you check out the books section you’ll see that in one of the latest books Damon is affected by a mystical flower intended for Stefan. The flower causes Damon to turn back into a human.)
Phew! Big post so let me know what you think!